Harry Potter & The Cursed Child Review

15.2.18



Theatre - Palace Theatre , London 
Rating - *****


The secrets will be kept in this post so there will be absolutely no spoilers.
I FINALLY GOT TO SEE THE PLAY ! As a huge Harry Potter fan , I was really excited that there would be a play coming to London set 19 years later. If you've read the book then you'll know what happens and the rather flat storyline that goes with it. If you've seen the play and haven't read the book yet do not do what I did and read the book before going to see the play as it does spoil a few things. I read the book mainly because I didn't think I'd ever get to see play but I was lucky enough to get tickets ! 

First of all before we go any further with this review we need to discuss Scorpious Malfoy. Scorpious was played by Samuel Blenkin and oh my god he was actually incredible ! He portrayed the character so well that there were points where he brought the theatre to tears of heartbreak and laughter. I wasn't expecting the show to be as funny as it was. The books and the films were never that humorous from what I can remember but I think that was all down to Scorpious. The role of Albus was played by Theo Ancient who's performance of Albus was also incredible. I feel like I don't really need to say anymore about them two without dropping any accidental spoilers. 

I think the storyline is a bit flat due to the fact that it could either work two ways , 1. it could have a really complex storyline that no one understands , 2. a really simple storyline that is easy to follow and can easily be adapted to the stage , especially when adding complex effects and choreography. You really need to see the play I think for it all to click in the place as the script/book on a page really does it not justice whatsoever even though there are a few things wrong with the script. 

The transitions between scenes were flawlessly done too. As were the special effects that were included in the play. Oh my god even arena shows by massive bands literally have nothing on that play. They left my brain completely boggled by how they created some of the things that were done in the play. The rest of the cast who played extra roles and other things were all ridiculously good too and really added to the play. It was great to see that they had a lot of involvement too when it came to movement and that sort of thing too. 

Ok it wouldn't be a review without me getting annoyed by one tiny little thing. Harry Potter is a massive twerp. For some reason they way the character of Harry was written just made me want to cry into a bucket full of Cornish pixies or something because bloody hell I knew Harry was a nightmare but sheesh Harry as a dad to a kid that feels different compared to other kids is just a no no. Saying that Ron and Hermione kind of got on my nerves a tiny bit too like I felt like it was a bit pointless in Ron even being in the play at times and Hermione came across as a bit Umbridge like at some points too. The actors playing Ron , Harry and Hermione were actually amazing though despite playing annoying characters.  

One thing that did happen that I will mention because its made me rather angry still. You are told multiple times to make sure their phones we're completely turned off and not even on silent. Some woman sat in front of me completely ignored that and went on her phone HALF WAY THROUGH THE PERFORMANCE. It was getting to a juicy bit and of course I missed a bit because I was distracted by this giant beaming light that was coming out of this persons bag. 

Just because your sat in a balcony doesn't mean that it's not off putting for people sat around you that want to enjoy the show. Its also pretty rude for the actors and cast that are standing on a stage doing their job to a paying audience. Just think next time before you try and discreetly hide your phone in your bag when the people around you can see a glowing handbag.  

I'm going to shut up before I say too much but also at the same performance I went to , Ben Platt (Dear Evan Hansen and the Pitch Perfect films) and someone from Will and Grace were there too and now I'm annoyed that it didn't click that I think I saw Ben walk past me in the queue outside the theatre. The Cursed Child is easily one of the best pieces of theatre I've ever seen. Without a doubt. The Palace Theatre is the perfect location for the play as it looks like it could almost be a part of Hogwarts. Its possibly one of the most beautiful theatres I've ever been to. I came out of that play feeling super emotional as it felt like I'd been taken on the most magical adventure. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe