Pantomime - Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs

18.1.18


The last time I went and saw a pantomime was probably when I was 15 or 16. I've seen a bunch of christmas shows and pantomimes at The Mayflower before years ago but I've never seen Snow White. I've seen Santa Clause The Musical (yes that was a thing and it was incredible) , Robinson Crusoe and Jack and the Beanstalk. I haven't been to one for a while so I thought it would be nice to go along to the one thats just been and gone. Snow White starred The Chuckle Brothers , Britians Got Talent stars Flawless and Strictly judge , Craig Revel Horwood. I went full out and decided to embrace my inner child and got really into this time because whats a pantomime without shouting at the top of your voice "oh no she didn't". 

The plot of the pantomime was based around Snow White's (Charlotte Haines) 21st birthday and the return of Prince Harry of Hampshire (Oliver Saville) who was going to ask Snow White to marry him. The Queen was jealous and not happy about not being the fairest in the land so banished Snow into the forbidden forest. If you know the story of Snow White it very much sticks to that with a few extra things thrown in there. 


I think what really made the panto was The Chuckle Brothers. The Chuckle Brothers were apart of my childhood like most British children that grew up between the 90s-00s. They played the queens bumbling henchmen and the fact that they even walked onstage to the Chuckle-vision theme tune was literally the best thing ever. 

The Chuckle Brothers are perfect for panto purely because they are a hit with everyone and do the panto humour really well. They actually left me in tears because I actually found them rather funny. Everyones favourite Strictly judge , Craig Revel Horwood played the role of the evil queen and I never knew about how amazing his singing voice is ?!?! He sang My Way and oh my god it was incredible ! There was plenty of jokes about strictly and other things thrown in there about dance , along with the rather well know catchphrase from Craig too. 

A few things that I wasn't to sure on was mainly to do with the script. The magnificent seven really made me cringe with some of the things they had to say such as totes whatever , cheeky nando's and some other weird stuff thats like years old and no one really says anymore. I didn't understand why flawless were in it. They sort of did a few random dances to music that nearly made my ears explode and that was it. I felt like they didn't really have anything to add to the storyline if I'm totally honest. Snow White and Prince Harry of Hampshire didn't have as much stage time as the Chuckle Brothers and Craig Revel Horwood which was a shame as I'd have loved to have seen more scenes with those characters in too.

I loved the addition of the giant dragon and giant bat that came out into the audience as well I thought those were amazing. The magnificent sevens cottage set was my favourite set as it has a front of the cottage and also the inside complete with beds and chairs. The personal touch of mentioning things about Southampton that was thrown in there too was pretty cool especially if your local which I'm not and didn't really understand a few things but it was still nice to see that they gave the show a personal feel to the show. 

Even though pantomime season is over for a while until December you can actually book tickets to see Dick Whittington which is this years pantomime already even though the casting hasn't been announced yet. I really recommend seeing a pantomime at The Mayflower if your local as they are the best ones I've seen. The company that run the pantomimes have productions all over the country including the pantomime in London so you know that they'll be amazing anyway. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe