Films I Want To Become Musicals

8.1.18

Films being turned into musicals seem to be rather popular at the moment. many films have or are being turned into musicals and its made me think about what films I'd like to see on the stage. Theres already a musical version of Mean Girls coming to Broadway , along with a musical version of Beetlejuice in the works. Yes thats right Beetlejuice is in the works of becoming a musical but it probably won't be on the stage for a long time because its just in the process at the moment. I know theres people that get funny about films being turned into musicals because it's not original but if you tweak the storyline and add good songs in if they need to be added then I think a film being turned into a musical work. 

The Greatest Showman
I recently went to see this film at the cinema and wow its amazing ! I also cannot stop listening to the soundtrack from the film because they are so good. The film is based on the life of B.T Barnum when he set up his circus. The film stars Hugh Jackman as Barnum , along with Zac Efron , Zendaya and Michelle Williams. The songs in this film were written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul who have written songs for La La Land , Dogfight , Dear Evan Hansen and they are currently writing songs for the live action Aladdin and the live action Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs film for Disney. Pasek and Paul are one of the best writing duos around at the moment so I think the film could work perfectly if they wrote more songs. 

I think it could work really well onstage purely because it's different. I know Barnum exists but I think The Greatest Showman could be a more updated take on Barnum because the story is interpreted in a different way to Barnum the musical. The music in The Greatest Showman is a lot more modern compared to Barnum.

The Goonies 

I have no idea how this work because of the giant boat but how incredible would this be though. I feel like Cyndi Lauper would be the perfect choice to write the songs for the show as she's written for Kinky Boots before and also did a song that accompanied the film back in 1985. I'm not sure if anyone has actually turned a Steven Speilberg movie into a musical yet but someone needs to do it because he's done so many incredibly iconic movies that I'd love to see get the musical treatment. 

Pitch Perfect
Right if this was a musical this could be interesting seeing as the whole film is based around a cappella groups. It has a musical element to it already so it would work pretty well anyway. It might be a bit tricky to figure a way to transfer the film to a stage so that it ran smoothly and obviously it would make sense to throw in an orchestra or a live theatre band incase there were musical numbers that weren't all a cappella but an all a cappella musical would be pretty cool.

Tangled 
I know that this has actually been a show in the disney parks and on one of the disney cruise ships but I swear if this was made into a proper musical fit for Broadway or the West End then i'd be there straight away. Disney have recently made Frozen into a musical that will be heading to Broadway so why can't Tangled have its time in the spotlight already ! I think it would be super successful to as most Disney musicals have been pretty successful anyway.

La La Land 
Now personally this would be something I wouldn't go and see because I didn't like the film but I think it would work incredibly well on the stage. I'm not sure if anyones actually been picked up for a stage adaptation but I think a lot of people would go and see it. Its already the perfect fit plus I think lots of people would love to see La La Land as an actual musical. All they would have to is add a few more songs and a lot of tweaking to get it stage perfection. 

Arthur Christmas 
Arthur Christmas would be adorable not going to lie. Its a christmas film that I adore big time and if this was turned into a christmas musical then I'd be there straight away. If you haven't seen Arthur Christmas then I really recommend seeing it because its probably one of the best christmas films. They recently turned Nativity! into a musical which is one of my favourite christmas films ever so if that can become a musical then someone needs to get a shifty on with an Arthur Christmas musical. Also imagine the musical numbers in this though oh my god they'd be amazing.

Gremlins 
Gremlins is another christmassy movie but I don't think that wouldn't stop it from being an all year round thing. Gremlins is another iconic Steven Speilberg movie that once again I'd love to see on the stage. Again this would be really difficult to transfer to a stage as you'd need puppeteers and a lot of puppets made and a lot of special effects would have to be used. There would need to be a huge budget for this one but I think it would make a pretty cool musical.

Those are just a few films that I think would make great shows one day. I really hope that they do eventually turn Tangled into a full on musical on Broadway or something because that would be absolutely incredible. I even thought of a few weird TV shows that would make interesting musicals such as - The Bake Off , Game Of Thrones , Doctor Who , Riverdale and RuPaul's Drag Race. Yes I think a musical version of RuPauls Drag Race is what we all need or just even a musical all about Ru would be incredible lets face it. I'm hoping to write a lot more about musicals in general as its something I really enjoyed writing about last year so expect to see a lot more about musical theatre on my blog soon. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I would love to see The Greatest Showman and Tangled as a musical! I saw The Greatest Showman last week with my friend and I just loved everything about it, the soundtrack is being constantly played in my household. I also think Tangled deserves a lot more love as well so a musical dedicated to it would just be amazing.

    Jess xx
    littlepinkduckblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe