Music Monthly - January

31.1.18



I had a page a while ago where I'd list all the songs I'd been liking throughout the month. I've decided to bring it back and make monthly posts instead of having a page. January has been a pretty good month for music I suppose and with it being the new year theres a lot of new music we can expect to come out of this year. The Arctic Monkeys are set to return with their new album , so are The 1975 , Blossoms , The Wombats , and James Bay. Debut albums from Fickle Friends , Tom Grennan , Nervus and loads more are also on the way ! I wanted to share some songs and three albums that I've been enjoying throughout the month of January. 

After popping this up on her YouTube channel a while back , Dodie released a studio version of 'Party Tattoos'. This is one of my favourite songs Dodie has ever written and was a nice surprise to see at midnight when I went onto Spotify. Dodie's song writing is literally some of the best around at the moment. Dodie's music is what I call heartbreakingly happy. I can't wait to see what Dodie does next with her music.

If I'm going to be totally honest I wasn't so sure if I actually liked this song when I first heard it and now that I've listened to it more than once , I can't get it out of my head. The last time Troye released music was in 2015 when he released his debut album 'Blue Neighbourhood'. Once again its a song thats already changed pop music in 2018 purely because how flipping amazing the song is.

Jade is one to be watching out for in 2018. After being on the BBC Sound Of 2018 long list , Jade recently released a new single called Lottery. It's a lot more bouncier than any of the other songs on the E.P she released last year. It's one of those songs that I will adding to this years summer playlist for sure. 

This is a song that needs to be listened to really , really loudly. I had no idea that Turbowolf we're releasing a new album and the fact they've collaborated with Mike from Royal Blood is just a collaboration that works so perfectly. I've loved the song 'Rabbits Foot' for a while but 'Domino' is just as good as that song. The first time I heard it my mouth dropped to the floor because holy shit this song goes straight in on the bass. 

Taken from her latest E.P 'Hot Mess" , GIRLI has released one of my favourite videos of the year already. I believe the song was written after Millie (GIRLI) moved to London for the first time and got stuck with a grumpy neighbour who was sick of her and her mates having parties with loud music. GIRLI is another person who's changing the world of pop music and I can't wait to hear more new music from her this year.

Post Precious is the side project of Alex Winston and Alex Hershenow from Ms Mr. This is one of the best Harry Styles covers I've ever heard. Its got something about it that sounds like it could be a Robyn song or at least a song from around the time that Robyn was releasing all the good stuff. It's incredible what can be done to a song really. This has gone from being a dramatic pop/rock song to a synth fuelled , dancey pop song. I love what Post Precious have done with the song and I'm going to probably keep listening to this on repeat forever. I need more music from Post Precious soon. 

The Coronas - Get Loose  
I've heard a few of their songs before and have probably listened to get loose before but I just had to mention it as I've been listening to it so much recently. This song was released in 2014 when they released their album 'The Long Way' and its only been within the last few years that I've started listening to their music. Get Loose makes me happy and reminds me of the summer and people riding bikes. They did release a new album last year but I still really , really like this song.

George Ezra - Paradise
Again another song that has a really sunny and summery feeling to it. George recently announced his long awaited 2nd album "Staying At Tamara's" which is due in March , so pretty soon. I feel like this was one of the songs he played on his festival circuit last year whilst testing out new album material and I absolutely love the song. It has gotten stuck in my head but thats probably because I've listened to it a million times since. 

Sufjan Stevens - Mystery of Love
I don't intend watching Call Me By Your Name but I've heard good things about it. I might actually read the book instead .Sufjan Stevens is someone I've never listened to until I remembered that he'd done a song for I , Tonya. That is also another film I won't be seeing. Both songs for both films are absolutely stunning but Mystery of Love is absolutely beautifully heartbreaking. It's obviously all about love but theres something so whimsical sounding about this song. I'm actually in love with this song it's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

Time for the three albums that I've been listening to a lot recently. It's a weird selection of a indie debut and a musical movie soundtrack and a brand new musical I have a strange music taste. The first album I wanted to mention was the debut album from a band called The Academic who recently released their debut album called 'Tales From The Backseat'. This is one that I'd been looking forward to after really getting into their music a bit more. I've listened to this album so many times since it came out as its such a great debut album. I think my favourite songs from the album have to be Girlfriends , Bear Claws , Fake I.D and Bite My Tongue.

The other album I wanted to chat about was the soundtrack for The Greatest Showman. I'd listened to 3 previously released songs and I just knew that I'd fall in love with this film , which I have. The songs from the film we're written by  Benj Pasek and Justin Paul who are incredible songwriters who have previously written songs for La La Land and Broadway show , Dear Evan Hansen. I love a good musical movie that has a good mixture of emotional songs and songs that make you want to put on a one person musical. My 4 favourite songs from the soundtrack are Rewrite The Stars , Never Enough , Come Alive and This Is Me. I can't count how many times I've listened to the soundtrack and I think I might  be obsessed. 

I've been on a bit of a musical theatre kick this month. I have been listening to The Greatest Showman non-stop but a brand new show called Eugenius recently released their concept album and oh my goodness me I've listened to it more than once , 10 times exactly and probably more by the time this post goes out. The show is brand new and was produced by Warwick Davis with the songs being written by Ben Adams and Chris Wilkins. It has a 80s inspired score and I'm absolutely obsessed with the songs. My favourite songs from the album are Hollywood , Don't Shoot For The Stars (Shoot Higher) , Go Eugenius and G.E.E.K. Click here to listen to Rewrite The Stars from The Greatest Showman and Go Eugenius from Eugenius !

I think these posts will be a monthly thing if I can stick to it and not get bored. I really want to stick to this so hopefully I can. This year I'm mixing up my content a bit. I won't be going to any festivals so I probably won't be writing about any of them this time around but expect the monthly music posts and a lot of theatre posts ! 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Ahh I'm such a big fan of George Ezra, I didn't realise he had a new album out (I do now thanks to your post)!

    I've checked out that GIRLI tune, too. I really liked the vibe. I'm really liking the new Kate Nash releases (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj-0S1n4eQg) I'm a sucker for the vid. Also, if you're an old school Green Day fan check out BroadBay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYTLDZVo0BY) they're a Brighton band and they're sick.

    Peace & Love,
    Em x
    http://www.emmalowther.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe