My 15 Favourite Songs Of 2017

12.12.17


I'm starting to write this post in July. By the time this is posted it will be Christmas time so needless to say I've come prepared on this post as I'm writing this earlier than normal. This post has changed a lot since July with adding and removing songs just so I can get this post perfect. I started writing the same I posted last year about my favourite songs for 2016 and my albums of 2016 posts around about October time. Once again this year has been pretty strong for song and album releases seeing some great artists and bands return with new music. In no particular order , here are my top 15 favourite songs from this year. 

Lana Del Rey - Lust For Life (Featuring The Weeknd)
With a hint of the 60s and a cinematic feel , Lana Del Rey and The Weeknd teamed up again to create one of the most insane songs I've heard this year. Lana released her 4th album this year and honestly this might be my favourite song off of it. This was the 2nd song to be released from "Lust For Life" and I really think that Lana and The Weeknd's voices together just work so perfectly.

2. BTS - Come Back Home 
I've never really listened to K-Pop until this year and I think I've been missing out. BTS have really had a huge year and have become one of the most popular K-Pop bands around at the moment. I wanted to mention come back home because its a great song and again I haven't stopped listening to it. This is also the song that made me realise that BTS are a proper good K-Pop group.

3. Harry Styles - Kiwi 
When Harry announced his debut solo album this year I was unsure what it was going to be like. Sign of the Times was pretty incredible and I was totally shocked when I heard the song as I wasn't expecting it at all. Harry's self titled album is pretty good and I even wrote a review about it because I liked it so much. Kiwi has instantly become one of my favourite songs from the album and probably the one song I've listened to the most from the self titled album. It's a bit rockier than some of the other songs but I think that's why I like it so much. 

4. The Amazons - Black Magic 
What a surprise that this made it on here. I listened to this song on a constant loop when it came out because bloody hell its great. I'm so happy that The Amazons have received a lot of attention this year as they obviously really deserve it. Black Magic was the first song the released before announcing their debut album that came out in May. I feel like this song to me is exactly the same thing that happened when Glass Animals released Life Itself last year. I still cannot stop listening to Black Magic. 

5. Paramore - Hard Times

After Laughter was an album I wasn't to sure on when I first heard it but after listening to it a lot more I actually like the album a lot. Hard Times was the first single to be released from the 5th Paramore album. The sound change from Paramore was something I was pleasantly surprised by it was a pretty big shock  but I remember sitting on a bench outside Highclere Castle using my 4G on my phone to hear Hard Times. I lost my shit and people were looking at me weird ... i can't count how many times I've heard this song but it's probably a lot. 

6. Wolf Alice - Don't Delete The Kisses 
Out of the all the songs on a vision of a life , Don't Delete The Kisses is my favourite song. I received a postcard with the single artwork on as they were sending postcards out to people in the lead up to the announcement and the debut of Yuk Foo. I think this song really showcases Ellie's vocals in a way we've not heard them before. Its a mellow and drowsy song that isn't too slow or too upbeat which makes it the perfect chill out song.

7. Bad Sounds - Meat on My Bones 
I have probably mentioned this song before on my blog but its too good not to share again. One of my favourite discoveries this year has to be Bad Sounds. This was another song I couldn't stop listening to when I first heard it because after one listening it got lodged inside my brain and remained there for a good few weeks. If you've not heard of Bad Sounds before then their sound is a mixture of funk , hip hop , pop and a tiny bit of rnb thrown into the mix to create the colourful creation that is Meat on My Bones.

8. Arcade Fire - Everything Now 
This is the song that happened to gain Arcade Fire their first number 1 single on billboard which is absolutely huge ! When I first heard this song I wasn't to sure and then I went back to it again just to see if it had grown on me. I found myself returning to the song a lot and I still listen to it now. A lot of people were comparing everything now to an ABBA song and I can totally see what people mean but it just makes you want to throw glitter around , dance like an idiot and scream along.

9. Dua Lipa - New Rules 
I'm pretty sure Dua Lipa is now the prime minister after releasing this song. Its like a handbook for relationships in a song. The video for this is probably one of the best videos of this year too.This an excellent pop song that has everyone talking about Dua Lipa. I've known about Dua's music for a while now so to see her become super successful is pretty exciting. Also I think Dua has won the title of best pop music because every single song from her album is just so good , which made it hard to choose just one of her songs.  

10. Waterparks - Blonde
I mean this only came out a few months ago and I've been listening to it constantly since its release. Blonde is taken from the pop punk trios 2nd album "Entertainment" , that is due to be released early next year. Its catchy and I reckon it will sound great live. Waterparks are also going on a big tour next year around the UK too. What I like about this song is how much energy the song has plus it makes me feel a bit more awake when I'm sleepy.

11. Creeper - Black Rain 
My favourite Southampton goth punks released their debut album this year and wow it's good. Black Rain is the opening track on "Eternity , In Your Arms" and I couldn't think of a better song to open such a strong album. It's theatrical , like most of the songs on the album but what makes this my favourite song is just how dramatic it is and I love anything that sounds very dramatic. 

12. The Killers - The Man 
Before their surprise appearance on the John Peel stage at this years Glastonbury, The Killers released The Man which is taken from their newest  album " Wonderful Wonderful". Just like the arcade fire song this also makes you want to sing , dance and throw glitter around. It makes you want to strut around like a super confident peacock if that makes any sense. I also love the video for this one too.


13. Oh Wonder - High On Humans 
For some reason this song makes me super happy. It's all about making conversations with strangers when your out and about. It was written after Josephine had a chat with a few people on the tube and instantly recored a voice memo of the song on her phone which then became High On Humans. I absolutely love this song and this album a lot. I was even lucky enough to get a signed copy of the vinyl of Ultralife on my birthday this year. 

14. Black Honey - Somebody Better 
I adore Black Honey and Izzy's style. Izzy (singer/guitar) literally wears the best clothes ever and I want to steal her wardrobe because its amazing. Black Honey  have released a few songs this year but I think Somebody Better might be my favourite song they've released this year so far. I believe I have mentioned Black Honey on my blog before but they are just too good not to mention again ! They've had a big year touring and have recently finished up supporting Royal Blood on their huge tour around the UK and Europe.

15. The Kooks - Be Who You Are 
The Kooks released a best of album this year with a few acoustic versions of some old songs and a new song. This new song happened to be Be Who You are which became the soundtrack to my summer this year. I got to hear this live too as I saw them at the IOW Festival and it made all my childhood dreams come true because I used to love listening to the kooks and they went a bit quiet for a  bit and then came back with new music. They are set to release a new album next year too so I'm excited to hear that. 

I am so happy to finally get to share a post that I've had in the works for so long ! It's always bloody difficult to choose who to include as theres so many songs to choose from and if I included them all we'd be here forever and a day. I can't wait to see what 2018 brings in the way of new songs and albums especially with announcements from bands I like who are releasing their debut albums next year too so I can't wait ! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe